Sunday, September 6, 2009

I'm Gonna Make a Brand New Start of It

...Or at least attempt to. Then again, I don't know about a brand new start. I am, after all, going to pursue the same career fields I've been into. So I guess you could say, I'm gonna make a solid attempt at making a go at what I already do... but that doesn't quite flow lyrically like Frank would want it to. Whatever. It makes for a good title for this post, ok?

I've been living in Brooklyn for a week. A decent week at that. Settled in a nice apartment in the Bushwick neighborhood. Got job to pay the bills at a swanky literary club...Actually, Now that I think of it, I'm going to outline the week below. Not so much for you, the reader, but for myself. It's been a long week. I should figure out what I did with myself.


Sunday 8/30 Sleeping Through Flights
After a long night at Alpine Valley for a Jimmy Buffet concert the night before, I awoke at 6am to catch a 7:40 flight from Milwaukee. Got into White Plains around 3pm and chilled at Jacobs for the night.

Monday 8/31 Waiting to Move In
Took the North Metro Rail into the city and subsequently to my apartment. The previous tenant staying in my room wasn't totally moved out. Spent most of my day helping him move out and moving myself in.

Tuesday 9/1 Audition and Apple
Today I had my second audition here in the city, the first having taken place earlier this summer. This particular audition was for PGT Entertainment. Will anything come of it? Meh, we'll see. But the experience is necessary. Afterward, I spent sometime at the Apple store sitting in on their free lectures.

Wednesday 9/2 A Filmmaker and a Further Moving
Chilled at the apartment got a little more settled. Later that night, went back to Apple store for a Q&A session with animator/writer/director Mike Judge. Even though the interviewer/moderator was an idiotic bimbo who knew nothing about Mike or his work, it was still a sweet event to enjoy.

Afterward, I took a train back up to White Plains. Later that night, once his kids were asleep, Jacob and I drove the rest of the crap I had sitting at his house over to my apartment. Before getting to the apartment though, we had to stop at Jacob's favorite pizza place in the city, Joes.

Thursday 9/3 Got a Job, Discovered a Park, Found a Music Venue
I intended on sleeping in this morning, however, I was awoken by an old high school friend who now lives in the city. We grabbed a coffee before I went to my interview at The Lotos Club. It went well and I start this Wednesday. We'll see how that goes. After the interview, I made my way to Crown Heights (which borders Prospect Park) to meet up with another friend from WI who moved to the city. We took a good long walk through the park and slipped a few Coronas.

That night I had my first encounter with Williamsburg, which I was told is "where it's at." It is. I went to the Music Hall of Williamsburg to see Elizabeth and the Catapult. Basically, a much less mainstream Regina Spektor.

Friday 9/4 Flatbush and Fish & Chips
Pretty chill day. That night caught up with yet another friend. This one from UWSP. We grabbed dinner. She showed me around Flatbush, another fantastic upcoming neighborhood of Brooklyn. It's actually a bit on the British-side. Quite lovely. We then got lost as she attempted to drive me home, seeing as how there are no trains that run north and south in Brooklyn. It's messed up.

Saturday 9/5 Where Tight Cuffs Meet Jew Curls
Went back to the Prospect Park area. Took a good walk. Listened to some good music as I walked. Found a fantastic farmers market at the north end of the park, right by the Brooklyn Library. After my time there, I went back over to Williamsburg to gallivant around Bedford street. The sidewalks had tables sporadically set up to sell books, trinkets, jewelry, you name it.

While taking a look at this tables, I discovered how cool people can be in NYC. I was looking at some jewelry, specifically a leather necklace with a large charm on it. I asked the little old woman the price. $5 she replied. I was really only interested in the leather and told her such. She replied, "Oh, I can just give you that for free." I told her, "here's a dollar at least, take something." With a sharp turn of her head she yipped, "no." I thanked her again and off I went.

My other favorite place I shopped was a neighborhood sale in which all proceeds went to charity. Most everything was kinda junky, but much is was also right up my alley. My purchases include a couple cloth-knit ties, the coolest playset ever, and some bitch'n new shades.

I decided to walk back from Williamsburg to Bushwick as they border each other, and I figured I should see what kind of a walk it is. Little did I know I was about to discover how neighborhoods can drastically change by just a single turn.

As I mentioned, Williamsburg, very "where it's at." The artsy crowd that inhabits the area are total hipsters (see picture at left). Some have their issues with these ankle-hugging jean wearing bunch, but I dig 'em, these neo-hippies who carry the spirit of the 60's and the wardrobe of the 80's. That's Williamsburg, at least the nor then part of it.

I began my walk southeastish to get back to Bushwick. I continued straight down Bedford St. I don't know exactly what block it took place, but suddenly I was the only person with a t-shirt on. Everyone else was hardcore Jewish and gussied up for the Sabbath. I felt out of place, but also very relaxed. I stopped one of the men with the big fur hats on. "Can I ask you a few questions about Judaism?" I said respectful. "Umm depends what the question is. I only have until the next intersection." He was more than happy to enlighten a clueless non-Jew. Their whole way of life fascinates me.

I finally made it back to my apartment, legs aching from the day. After resting them and watching Entourage for an hour, I got a message from yet another friend from good 'ol Stevens Point. I grabbed a few drinks in Manhattan with a few Pointer actors and actresses whom I knew from their roles in UWSP productions.

Which bring me to today, which was pretty lame. Did some job searching online, prepared some job materials, and watched another season of Entourage. Went for a run and found a cheap gym a few blocks away. And now, wrote this post.

A pretty solid first week.

No comments:


Band website design
Quantcast