Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Overture

I'm done. Four years at a University and I'm left asking myself a question too many have asked before me: now what?

Honestly, I don't know, and I couldn't be happier or more comfortable saying that, because really, no one knows what lies ahead. I've simply come to terms with the fact that life cannot be 100 percent planned. Granted, having a solid direction isn't a bad thing to have up your sleeve, but I'm optimistic that having an idea opposed to a direction will not only suffice, but lead me places I could never have dreamed.

My only certainty is that I have no certainty.

However, wherever I land in 10 years, or tomorrow for that matter, I want to know how I got there. Hence, this first blog entry.

For a graduation gift, I received an incredible book, The Last Lecture. It's author, Randy Pausch, was a professor of Computer Science, Human Computer Interaction, and Design at Carneie Mellon University (http://download.srv.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/). In Sept. 2006, he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and with the end in sight he wrote his 'last lecture' about the little lessons life teaches you along the way.

I'm 22. I don't feel it necessary to try to impart onto others what little 'wisdom' I may have. But my hope is that I have a lot of life left to live. So what better way to keep track of it all than an electronic document that can be read by the world!

Today is memorial day...well, yesterday as it is 2:15am. I floated around on a small rubber raft on a local lake. The traffic from the busy roads around this lake was hidden from the dense tree line, and the rumbling engines were muffled by the swaying of the trees and the rustling of their leaves in the wind. I laid on that raft, reading, playing mandolin, and thinking...of what has been and what may be. The result of all that thinking is this blog, a window into my mind...and it's wide open. No need to feel like a pervert trying to catch a glimps, all will be exposed.

Mostly, this blog will help those I love and care about keep track of what I may be up to and where I may be in the world. For now, it's Stevens Point, Wisconsin... and I couldn't ask for a better place to start.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm going down this long lonesome road, babe
Where I'm bound I can't tell
And good bye is too good a word, babe
So I'll just say fare thee well.

I stood unwound beneath the skies
And clouds unbound by laws.
The cryin' rain like a trumpet sang
And asked for no applause.
Lay down your weary tune, lay down,
Lay down the song you strum,
And rest yourself 'neath the strength of strings
No voice can hope to hum.


Band website design
Quantcast