Monday, October 26, 2009

"I hate to disturb your ride but..."

No doubt if you've been on an NYC subway ride, you have heard one of these suspiciously similar speeches by a supposedly unfortunate soul. Goes something like this:

"Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I hate to interrupt your ride this evening but I'll just take a moment of your time. I am a (vet, homeless person, etc.) trying to get by living on the streets. I don't drink, do drugs, or steal. I am simply asking for your help with any spare change or extra dollars you may have on your person. Have a good night and God Bless."

As soon as the train is in motion the speech starts. More often than not, their sob stories aren't that obtrusive, lasting a minute tops. Majority of the time, I'll listen, staring at my book or iPod acting like I am immersed in whatever I am doing. But I'm listening. Afterward the individual will walk around with a hat or bag, hold it out in front of each person in the car, and 95% of the people won't give anything, including me.

Giving money to panhandlers and beggars is always a touchy subject. I've gotten in heated debates with friends over the topic. The one, more selfish, view being, "It's my money, they've made their mistakes, they are just going to buy more booze, drugs with it." The other mentality being, "these people haven't had the opportunities I've had, I don't know what it's like to have those hardships, help your fellow man." Tough decision really. But I think I've made up my mind.

I don't do it. Especially when they all these subway stories sound like the same cookie cutter speech. Like there is a meeting somewhere they all attend to learn the best ways to manipulate people into giving them money.

However tonight on my way home I heard a speech on the train that had me digging to my bag's bottom to find some change. I couldn't even see the man during his speech as my chair was facing the other direction. But there was an urgency in his voice, a true-sounding cry for help. He said he had been kicked out of his home by his family for being HIV positive. Now he was on the train trying to get money for him and his dog. Maybe it was the dog part that got to me, but I wanted to give him some change. If not for his situation, for the gifted acting and delivery of his speech. In my opinion, worth twenty-five cents.

For more on the topic, check some articles:

No comments:


Band website design
Quantcast