Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Our Precious Town: A Play Review

Scroll down the page, and you'll see a post in which I relayed a story to you. Yes relayed, not copied. It's a story about living in the present, not taking for granted the life we live everyday, not letting this gift we've been given slip away before it's too late. So too is the message of Thornton Wilder's Pulitzer Prize winning drama Our Town.

Not-so-ironically, I was given tickets to this show by the same man who shared the story Precious Present with me. I had seen the play before, back in high school, but at the time I thought the show was boring and drawn out. After all, I was young and the acting in the show was... well, high school. So before I went to see the show this evening, I read the play.

In reading the story, I got the gist. The first two acts are pretty basic: a simple town, with simple people, living simple lives that include the usual dramas that accompany most people's lives. A narrator, or stage manager as he is referred to by Wilder, guides the reader through the story: the first act introducing the town and the people in it, followed by the second act's journey of love. The third act is the bombshell. The reader doesn't see it coming. It's not really a plot twist or something like that, it's more of a revelation. A heart-wrenching revelation.

I don't want to give it away, but give it a read. Better yet, see the play.

Best play I have ever seen. Period. Even though there was a period at the end of that sentence, I feel it necessary to once again write the word Period for emphasis. If given the opportunity, see the play at the Borrow Street Theatre in New York City. If you're really lucky, you'll see it with the incredible cast I saw it with. Just for my own purposes, I'll list the prominent characters here... incase I lose my playbill.

Stage Manager...................................................Jason Butler Harner
Mrs. Gibbs..........................................................................Lori Myers
Mrs. Webb.........................................................................Kati Brazda
Doc Gibbs.................................................................. Armand Schultz
Joe Crowell, Jr. .........................................................Jason Yachanin
Howie Newsome............................................................Adam Hinkle
George Gibbs.......................................................James McMenamin
Rebecca Gibbs................................................................Jacey Powers
Emily Webb..................................................................Jennifer Grace
Simon Stimson..............................................................Jeremy Beiler
Mr. Webb.............................................................................Ken Marks

The show has minimal scenery, a couple tables at best. The show takes place in the early 1900s, yet no period costuming is used. A lot of the show is placed on the imagination of the audience, but the acting allows it to be so. This play is not about scenery or razzle-dazzle. It's about people, it's about life... and how we need to live in it while we are living it.

No comments:


Band website design
Quantcast