Friday, November 20, 2009

169 Bar

After my first performance in New York City, at Penny's Open Mic, I was ready to have my actual first gig, a jazz set at the 169 Bar. It's been a while since I've sat down with a group of musicians with whom I have never played, said alright here's the key and tempo, and then away we go. It was nerve-wracking. Especially because these were some fantastic musicians. Band leader and pianist Isamu McGregor plays some mean keys, while keeping the tight drummer and ridiculous chic bass player grooving in the right direction. All three were very chill, welcoming people.

My set with them was only three songs long. But that's all I needed to get my feet wet in NYC's jazz open mic world. We did the standard Honeysuckle Rose, a Kurt Elling chart called In the Winelight, and finished up with Michael Bublé's version of How Sweet it Is. A fitting ending cause it was pretty sweet to look out into the audience and see some good friends of mine, new and old alike, supporting me. Thanks guys and gals.

No comments:


Band website design
Quantcast