Sunday, February 8, 2009

Blogging: Scrap-booking on Roids

Yes, I scrapbook. I am a heterosexual male, and I scrapbook. At least I used to / hopefully will be in the near future. In my closet I currently have three grocery bags, each containing a scrapbook which is either empty or near empty and all the "scraps" that I intend on adhering to the pages. Allow me to digress and reminisce for just a few paragraphs before I get to the point.

One bag consists of all the pictures, brochures, ticket stubs, and other junk that I didn't throw away from the summer of 2005, when I worked as an entertainer at Idlewild Theme Park in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. I played three guitar sets, two small group shows, and three nightly main stage shows a day. Plus every so often I had to do "live action" theatre with kids in the "Wild West" section of the park. We made the wee ones into deputy sherifs and had them help wrangle up some bank robbers. There were about twelve of us entertainers. We all lived in a ski chateau on the highest peak in the state. We were all in our early 20's and enjoyed a good time, so a good time we had.

Another bag contains all the accouterment for completing a scrapbook from the next summer which I spent in Maui, Hawaii. I worked as the arts & crafts director at a Boy Scout Camp in the West Maui Mountains. This little gig snuck up on me unexpectedly. The job was mentioned to me in passing by a scouter in the Wisconsin area. A completed application and a few emails later, I was on my way to Maui. Granted the job didn't pay the best, but after a couple months on Maui, I had completely broke even, including the flight. Not bad. The best part of the summer, though, was hanging out with my old friend and first ever boss, Scott, as he is now living on Maui with his wife and daughter. The beauty and attitude of this island is intoxicating. As is the feeling I get when I tell people, "yea, I lived in Maui...."

The third bag is even heavier than the first two, but it's content spans twice as much time. During college, when I moved into my first house at the beginning of my junior year, I began a scrapbook to document all the good times and a few of the bad. It's a great representation of the hard work I did at UWSP as well as a look into the intense amount of fun my roommates and I had at 1525 Briggs. This scrapbook is more complete because I tried the "create-it-as-it's-happening" approach. This method worked wonderfully until, just like my blogging at times, I got way behind. I have catching up to do.

Now, even though I have a little extra time on my hands, I do not feel compelled to complete these books of memories. The reason why is this little site of mine.

I took out the "college years" scrap book last week and attempted to put a dent into it. Nothing happened. I am now much more interested in this digital version of my life/memories. Paper, scissors, and glue no longer tickle my fancy like they used to. But it's easy to see why.

Lately, I've been reading a lot of blogs, friends' and some randoms as well. It seems to me that a blog has so much more to offer than a big book of scraps. Not only can you post your thoughts and words, but pictures, video, and audio as well. I'd like to see a book that holds all that (besides a MacBook....ha, get it?) A blog is also viewable by whoever you want to see it. Which for me is all the more motivation to do it. Sure, you can share a scrapbook with guests when they come over. But more often than not, I think that a guest feels obligated to look through my memories and he/she doesn't necessarily enjoy it. With a blog, on the other hand, whoever can read it whenever he/she wants, and if no one reads it, really that's fine too. But in the meantime, I'll just keep writing as if someone out there actually is reading.

So there, I love blogging. Is that the thesis statement I was aiming for with this post.... I'm really not sure. That's the other thing about blogging, well for me at least, it's total stream of conscience. For that, I apologize, but that probably won't change.

Though, I will add that I'm not completely giving up on the art of scrap-booking. I'll find the motivation to do those three books sooner than later. I think it's important that everyone keep in mind the physical world that we all once functioned in, whether it's completing a scrap-book or sitting down and actually writing a letter. It weirds me out sometimes this think of all the time and effort I've put into this digital life of mine, and to consider that with one server crash, it could all be gone. However a wise man once said:

What takes a lifetime to build can be destroyed in a night, build anyway.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've a whole stash of scrapbooking supplies in my closet waiting for me to catalog my study abroad. (It's been almost 3 years now.) I just started using Blurb instead, and it's awesome. Digital scrapbooking is so much faster, and the printed books are not expensive at all.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm in love with you. I was going to apply to the islandreef job, but after seeing your video, I realize that you are waayyyy cooler than me (or at least in video). and I thought I was random-turtle. GOOD LUCK!

Shawn Connelly said...

probably only in video....

Elizabeth said...

I agree that blogging definitely holds an appeal- and you're right, there is so much MORE you can do here... but... it lacks a certain artsy touch sometimes. I take solace and find it relaxing to sit down at a large dinning room table or living room floor, spread out with paper, pictures, brochures, scissors, stickers and an empty page. While blogging is marvelous for some things, it will never, for me at least, be the same as that big book.
Being the nerd that I am I have one for each of my four years of high school (all complete), one for the four years of college (not yet complete... about half way); one for my study abroad experience my sophomore year of college (close to finished); one of spring break during my semester abroad (about 1/3 finished); one for spring break my senior year when I went to the Bahamas with my friend Holly (the pages are complete, but they are not in any book, lol); and one I did for my parents on their vacation to Italy for their 30th Wedding Anniversary (all complete). Wow... that really does make me sound like a nerd...


Band website design
Quantcast