Monday, May 11, 2009

Let's Look Ahead

It's come to my attention that a great majority of my blog posts are in the past tense, looking back. Well, everyone likes looking forward to something, so I give you today's post. 
A look into my future. 
In less than I week, I'll be running my first half marathon. I am all sorts of excited. The months of training have certainly paid off in terms of definition. My legs haven't looked like this since high school. But the training is about surviving 13.1 miles. Truthfully, I think I can do more than survive. I'm shooting for 9 minute miles. Though, when I pushed up to 10 mile runs, there were plenty of aches, pains, and mental blocks. My hope is the camaraderie and general race day adrenaline will take care of little snafu's that my mind and body may encounter. 

If you care to help make sure I cross the finish line, camp out along the route. 
If anyone feels like blasting music from their car for me, I could really go from "The Kids" by MGMT around the 11 mile mark.

Now for the exciting news (drum roll please). I'm moving to New York!! Indeed, I have landed a summer job working at theme park in Rye, NY. It's called Playland. Despite the cheesy late 80's promotional they have playing on their site, it's supposedly a fantastic park. I'll have solo acoustic gigs Tuesday thru Sunday. Every Monday I'll be making my way 20 minutes south to the city. My hope is by late summer, I'll have done enough interviews and auditions to have landed something out there. Since London I've been itching for the excitement of a city again. Hopefully, this summer will scratch the right spot. 

My journey out there begins on May 30th. I don't start work till mid-June. So, I'm taking my time on the road. I'll be stopping a few places I've always wanted and saying hi to friends I haven't seen in too long. Best of all, I intend on camping most of the way. I'll be making a stop in Chicago, Mammoth Cave in southern Indiana, then down to the Great Smokey Mountains, and up to the Monongahela National Forest. From there it's a trip up the East Coast: D.C., Baltimore, Philly, and finally, New York, New York. 

If you know of any must see stops along this general route, PLEASE COMMENT. I have the time and I really don't want to miss something spectacular. Especially if it's a little off the beaten path. 

That's life for me. Once I hit the road, I intend on daily blogs. Be sure to keep checking in. 

3 comments:

Ric said...

I've always wanted to see the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: http://www.rockhall.com/

Shawn Connelly said...

It's pretty sweet... I was there about 4 years ago. But definitely worth another stop.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Elizabeth said...

I LOVED Mammoth Cave! I went there with my mom and sister a few years back and it was really pretty cool. If you're that close, I suggest Louisville, Kentucky. It's a small city, but it's fun! The Louisville Slugger museum is neat and Churchill Downs (the place they hold the Kentucky Derby horse race each year- BIG DEAL in my world) is not far away either.

When are you going to be in Chicago? I'll be home TODAY!! We should meet up! :) In terms of things to do in Chicago- are you interested in the museums or do you want to save your money (they're good, but expensive). We can talk about it if you call me... I don't have a US cell right now, but I should soon. Facebook for now. Later.


Band website design
Quantcast