Friday, June 12, 2009

Not Always Sunny in Philadelphia

6/10/2009

It was overcast all day. But no matter. I made it to Philly and met up with Zach, whom I met on couchsurfing.com. Now when I mentioned couchsurfing to family and friends before I left on this little excursion I got a lot of, "are you sure you wanna do that?" And I do understand people's concern.

Allow me to explain couchsurfing. Better yet, I'll let them. This is taken straight from the "What is Couchsurfing?" page on their website:

Mission:
"CouchSurfing seeks to internationally network people and places, create educational exchanges, raise collective consciousness, spread tolerance, and facilitate cultural understanding."

As a community we strive to do our individual and collective parts to make the world a better place, and we believe that the surfing of couches is a means to accomplish this goal. CouchSurfing isn't about the furniture- it's not just about finding free accommodations around the world- it's about participating in creating a better world. We strive to make a better world by opening our homes, our hearts, and our lives. We open our minds and welcome the knowledge that cultural exchange makes available. We create deep and meaningful connections that cross oceans, continents and cultures. CouchSurfing wants to change not only the way we travel, but how we relate to the world!


The safety factor is also addressed on their site. But I really wasn't too concerned on safety. Zach is just a guy, like me, like so many people. Say 10% of people in the world (and I think I'm over estimating) are out to get you: harm you, scam you, etc. That still leaves 90% that are just living life, not interested in hurting anyone. This certainly was Zach, a fellow guitar player.

He had to work most of the afternoon so I made it around Philly on my own, checking out the Historic district and walking around the Delaware riverfront as well as South Street, a popular shopping/eating/happening area. Saw Benjamin Franklin's grave, Besty Ross' house, some war memorials, and buildings that dated back to the time of the Revolutionary War.

Once Zach was done with work we walked down to south Philadelphia for some Geno's and Pat's cheesesteaks. These two epic rivals are located right across the street from one another. Since there is so much controversy over which is better I figured I'd overstuff myself and sample one of each. Geno's, with it's neon flashy exterior uses a cheese wiz, imitation cheese on their steaks. Pat's, on the other hand, uses real slices of cheese. Being the Wisconsin guy that I am, I had to choose the one with the real cheese.

No comments:


Band website design
Quantcast