Saturday, June 13, 2009

You Have Reached Your Destination

6/12/2009

Mandy has said that to me many times throughout the past two weeks. Mandy is the GPS I've been using to get around the eastern half of the United States. Well, 'Mandy' is the female voice I chose to listen to. She was American, which is sad. One can download an expansion pack for a TomTom and get a British female voice, much more alluring. But I digress.

I'm here! I have arrived in Rye, NY. I spent most of today getting to know the town. It's got a great old school main street, lots of shops, and passersby. Around the corner from the main street is one of the performers houses. Down the street from there is the train to NYC, round trip ticket for around $20. Not bad.

I already got to know the shop owner at the local wine shop, Bruno. He sold me a nice Reisling while we chatted about the city and whether or not there were any good bars in Rye. He told me of a few places nearby. I figured I'd get to know them later that night.

After visiting the library for the internet and jamming in a park for a while, I decided to make my way to Playland amusement park to see where I'd be spending my summer. There I met with the cast manager Bret and briefly met others, as they were in the middle of rehearsal. The park is like a carnival that came to town, settled in one spot, and grew from there. It's got the same rides that a traveling carnival would, but also has a big roller coaster, screw-you-over carnival games, and of coarse, entertainment. Once I have conquered all the rides, I'll let you know if it's worth coming to.

While the rest of the cast rehearsed, I went to The Pub. Literally, a pub called The Pub. I was told by Bruno that is was a chill place. It was chill. Mostly because everyone in there was over 50. No matter. I still made a friend. Vinny was chatting, rather loudly, with his friend about good music, concerts they've been to etc. I piped in and before I knew it we were exchanging bang recommendations. Right now I'm looking at a coaster which he wrote the names of three artists: Peter White, The Amazing Blondel, and Dando Shaft. He ranted and raved about these three, guaranteeing I would not be disappointed..... truth be told, I'm a little disappointed. They all sound stereotypically like music someone over 50 would be into (no offense to those reading this who are). I told him I'd have a listen and see him next Friday at The Pub.

Once the cast was done with rehearsal, I met them all one town over at Buffalo Wild Wings. This is the area where the young'ns go. Apparently, I have a lot of hockey fans in my cast because every one of them had to lock into the Stanley Cup. I have to admit, it was fun watching Pittsburgh wail on Detroit, and seeing the Yankees win over the Mets on an outfield error was also quite exciting. Over a few beers, I got to properly meet the cast. Everyone seems eager and excited for the summer ahead.
Final Stats:
Total Miles Driven: 1,921
Total Stops for Gas: 8
Total Amount Spent on Gas: $245.75

No comments:


Band website design
Quantcast