Friday, December 26, 2008

Portobello Glass Blowing

12-6-2008

I really enjoy the people I travel with. Everyone has their own unique interests and it seems everyone from the UWSP group is getting something different out of their time in London. For instance, Deb has been getting to know the London glass blowers association quite well as she took it upon herself to pursue training with them. I am lucky enough to be friends with Deb, because this friendship led to her taking Kim and I on a tour of their studios today.

 


It was actually their annual open house this entire week, but had it not been for Deb, I’d never known that. But beside the typical open house stuff, Deb also took the time to explain some of the process to us and introduce us to a some members of the team, who just so happen to be some of the most talented glass blowers in the world.

 


Watching them work made me appreciate every wine glass I’ve every drank out of and every vase I’ve ever put flowers into. The skill, speed, and fluidity with which these guys have to work brings awe to anyone watching them work their craft.

Once we had finished watching multiple artists make an ornate bowl, a wine glass, and a pitcher we decided there was plenty of daylight left to take in Portobello Road. This market specializes in antiques from old school binoculars to books and doll houses. My favorite vendor had a wall of antique beer signs which if I had a place in London, I’d purchase way too many of those. They also had the usual t-shirt shops and vendors that you’d find in Camden. From one of these guys, I got the greatest t-shirt known to man. Perhaps you'll see me wearing it around. I could post a picture of it here, but that just wouldn't be as fun.

 


Plus we saw my favorite busker again, puncture kit, only this time he was joined by a...let's say less talented musician, but they still entertained the crowd. 



And like any market, this place had loads of good eating:


 


Once we’d shopped till we were about to drop, we walked back to a bus that’d take us home. But we also came upon a house that Deb and Kim were certain belonged to Elton John. No one was 100% but we’re going to say it was.


No comments:


Band website design
Quantcast