Monday, September 8, 2008

Ice in the Alps

9-8-08

"So Shawn, what did you do today?"

"Ohhh, nothing too exciting. Just hiked into a cave in the Alps outside of Salzburg and saw the largest ice cavern in the world. "

Typical European awesomeness.

For a tour we jumped on at the last minute, this excursion was one of the most awe inspiring sights I have ever seen in my life. From first stepping foot into Salzburg and gazing at the incredible landscape around me, I've wanted to see these
magnificent ranges around me up close and personal. I got to do that today. Not only see did I see them up close but I penetrated their exterior and hiked a kilometer into an ice cave. 

Every year when spring hits, the snow from the Alps melts into this cave. Cold winds enter into the cave and immediately freeze the layer of water seeping into the mountain to create layer upon layer of ice each year, until thousands of years worth of ice cover this mammoth cave. 




A short bus ride, a hike, a cable car ride up, and another short hike later, we were at the mouth of the cave. An extremely knowledgeable tour guide took us through the cave which gave the tour an added educational value which I always appreciate. But honestly, I was hiking into the Alps, which was enough for me. I didn't need to learn a thing and I would have been fine. But an education is always a bonus! 

Unfortunately, low light conditions led to poor pictures, but I'll post what I can as to share what I have experienced today. However, what made today (and most every day on this tour so far) great are the people I'm spending my days with. I knew one guy going into this tour, Chad, and the rest are basically complete strangers with the exception of getting to know them electronically via email. Now, I feel like I've known most of them for a lifetime. We are all in the same boat of willing to try new things, have new and exciting experiences, and go where, deep down, we may be afraid to go. But we're all doing it together, and while some may want
to go to Ice Caves, others an art gallery, and still others go on The Sound of Music Tour, at the end of the day we meet up and grab a pint together and share our days adventures. Which is exactly what we did tonight.






After a much needed nap (those caves were just overstimulating), weall headed to Shamrock, an Irish pub in Salzburg. We celebrated our day and anticipated the day ahead.

 Tomorrow sounds like it will entail a castle tour, some sinful art, and headlining the day is a symphony orchestra concert. I'm getting my sleep so tomorrow I can kick Salzburg's ass.  

No comments:


Band website design
Quantcast