Sunday, September 7, 2008

On to Salzburg

9-7-2008

This morning we had our last breakfast at the Euro Youth Hostel. I’m going to miss that warm milk on my bland flakes every morning. But I’m sure the hostel in Austria will be just as classy.  Currently, I’m back on the bus after a stop at Dachau where we saw the ruins of a Nazi Concentration Camp….I’m pausing, hesitating rather, to find the words to describe that experience and they just aren’t coming to me.

I’m glad I saw it. But at the same time I feel odd and strange that I felt I had to see it, that anyone has to see it. As if the stories and accounts of that dark time aren’t bone chilling enough.

Do we need to see with our own eyes before we will believe? Or even worse, do we need to see and experience in order to feel?

We will never forget. That phrase has come to encompass a lot of meaning in recent years and has almost turned cliché. So while I’m glad these pieces of history exsist, a part of me wants it gone… 

Until Salsburg.

No comments:


Band website design
Quantcast