Monday, November 10, 2008

"The Day America Became Cool Again"

11-4-2008


My dad left this morning, but truthfully I had more to be excited about the day rather than sulk in the fact that my visitor had left. IT'S ELECTION DAY.

Being in the United Kingdom during this historic election has completely changed my views on America and my feelings about being American. Ever since starting the continental tour in September, Europeans have been asking me what my political views are. I knew that the entire world kept it's eye on America, but I had no idea it would be like this.


It seemed many Londoners cared more about the election than some US citizens I know. My boss told me multiple times how unfair she thinks it is that people in the UK, and all over the world, have no say in an election that affect them so much. I completely agree with her.


With the "credit crunch" as it is called here and the world in an economic crisis, a war, and environmental systems at the breaking point, our election does matter to everyone. America is the superpower. I've heard that time and again in the states, and I always thought it was an egotistical statement that held some weight but couldn't be 100%. I've learned here is is absolutely true. The direction America takes will dictate the direction of the rest of the world.

That day at work I wore a suit with one of those little "I Voted" stickers on my tie as I had sent in my absentee ballot the week before.

I have never been more proud to wear a sticker in my life.

My co-workers applauded me saying they hoped more voted like me. I hoped the same. It was a long day awaiting the night that would dictate the future of so much.

I got home around 6pm and was so energetic for the night ahead. But I knew it wouldn't last, so I would have to nap. But I had all this energy, what to do? Run.


I ran 4 laps around Regent Park's inner circle all on pure adrenaline. This is going to sound ridiculously cheesey, but I felt like I was running with hope for a better tomorrow... I told you, cheesy. But seriously, every time I hear Obama speak (mostly on Youtube), I feel that many things which upset me about America can change, like tomorrow is going to be alright. I was having a great run just thinking about the future, about the hope that could come. I kept passing by two groups of cyclists, since we were heading opposite directions around the inner circle of Regents. Around the 3rd or 4th pass we started cheering each other on, giving a little "keep it up" shout. I could have ran all night, but I had more important things to do that night.

Like celebrate the future direction of America by partying on election night!

ISH Dean Kevin Coyne opened the bar from 11-3am for an election party. American flags were the decor of choice and for one night in London, it seemed everyone was from the states.... and it seemed all of them were democrats. Every time Obama took another state the bar would erupt in shouts of joy. Many were biting their nails earlier that day. My fear was that the young generation Obama had campaigned towards for the past two years would drop the ball, not make it to the polls. All I could do what hope for the best. Can I use the word hope more in this post?

As it turns out Obama supporters, young and old, showed up to the poles. I'm proud to say I sent in my vote via proxy, and while I wasn't able to be at the voting booth that day, I supported Obama in a different way:

Every time Obama took a state, we took Vodka Red Bulls. Which is probably why I didn't make it to his official victory around 4:30am GMT. But I was coherent for when he dominated Ohio and as far as I'm concerned that's when Barack Obama won the presidential election.

An ISH bartender gunning for Obama.

The title of this blog was a headline that one of the London evening newspapers ran the morning of November 5th. It's funny but it seemed the UK hated America a little less the next day.

No comments:


Band website design
Quantcast