Saturday, November 8, 2008

London's Wildlife

11-2-2008

Today I felt like the late Crocidile Hunter, not because I got killed by a sting-ray, but because I was all about getting in touch with the wild side of London. It started with the pigeons surrounding the Marble Arch.


Then came the attack.....










































All I wanted to do was touch this little guy's tail. Instead he found it necessary to nibble my finger and scratch my knuckle. He's just lucky I wasn't hungry.


We continued walking through Hyde Park and came across the Peter Pan statue, commerating this legendary icon who refused to grow up. Also many beautiful fountains. The most impressive was not so much a fountain, as it was called, but rather a small concrete circular river. This was the Princess Diana Memorial Fountain. It flowed from the high point of a small embankment and passed over what looked like stages of Princess Di's life, from smooth sailing over marble accompanied by light babbling, to rough seas over ridged rock which created a rapids-sounding caos, this beautifully constructed fountain was a unique rememberance of this life ended too soon.


We took a break by a lake side cafe to take in a tea and again the wildlife wouldn't leave me alone. 


We continued on and ended up at the south side of the park by the Albert Memorial statue where this time stone creates seemed to taunt me with their smug looks. Not going to lie, I really don't know a whole lot about this massive statue right across from Royal Albert Hall. But on each corner that surround who I believe is Albert are animals from different parts of the globe: a cow, bison, camel, and elephant. There are guided tours that can tell you more about this fantastic memorial, perhaps I'll hope on one of those sooner or later. 



























After pondering what that statue was about for a while, we walked down Knightsbridge street towards Buckingham Palace to see one of the many homes of the Queen Mum, Buckingham Palace.


Our day drew to a close as we toured around Camden taking in the shops in the stalls. The Camden markets are a must see if you ever find yourself in Londontown. I will write more about this happiest place on earth in a later blog. 


My night ended with a concert at my place. It is super cool to live in student housing that brings some of your favorite bands to it's basement. Tonight Does it offend you, yeah? was headlining a FREE show. However, you had to book tickets in advance and I did not. But the bouncer just so happen to recognize me from the ISH bar and as I was walking away from the door disappointed, he quickly ushered those in line into the venue and called me back with a whistle, handing me a ticket. I love this place. Not only because of my free ticket in but because I also discovered a two new favorite bands who opened: The Operators & The Joy Formidable.

No comments:


Band website design
Quantcast