Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Becoming London

9-23-2008

I’m off to a good start with my running schedule as I have a pretty good every-other-day thing going. This morning I ran alongside the London Zoo and saw lamas. Plus, I discovered the ‘off-leash’ area of regents. Most likely I will be running there more often to see the London puppies. However, they are hard to understand because of their thick British accents.

The rest of my morning consisted of blogging / journaling as to catch up on the European tour while it was still fresh. Because no one likes a stale European tour.

My afternoon, however, became much more interesting as Megadeath, Kallie, and I ventured to Camden Town.

The first place we stopped upon venturing from the underground was a quaint little art gallery. The information on the artist, whose name I can’t recall and didn’t write down, ranted and raved about this homeless artist who never had any formal training. After 10 minutes in that gallery, it was obvious he never had any formal training, and sadly, it became apparent that he was homeless as well. I think you can find better art at I'm Better than Your Kids Needless to say, the poor quality is why I don’t care to recall his name.

 

A few blocks from there we found what we were looking for, the Camden Market. Shop after shop of amazing clothing and tattoo parlors. I’ll be utilizing the tattoo shops later, but for today I spent £80 on a brand knew European outfit, seeing as how my job requires casual and I brought mostly smart clothes. But that eighty includes a nice heavy hoodie for cooler weather, a new pair of jeans, and a sexy argyle sweater vest, if I do say so myself.  Plus, I found a fantastic sepia panoramic of the Thames skyline and some nifty buttons for my satchel.

 

On my way home from Camden, I took my route to Harlesden for the first time.

 

From my first walk down High Street Harlesden, I knew I’d love this place. I was one of the only white guys walking down the street. Fresh fruit markets. Ethnic, to me at least, diners with kabobs, gyros, and a plethora or foods I have yet to sample or learn how to pronounce. A block away is the Irish Meat Market with carcasses hanging in the window. I found the offices of Life FM and smiled. Then I made my way back home.



 

Tomorrow I start work, so tonight will be an early one!

No comments:


Band website design
Quantcast