Sunday, October 5, 2008

Gorillas, a Tower, and a Superhero

9-27-2008

In my preparations for this London excursion, I was given a book called 1000 Things to Do in London. It’s published by a fun-living magazine called Time Out, a weekly magazine that has everything, and I mean everything, that there is to do in London. From the off beat to the popular. The greatest thing I’ve gotten out of the book happened today: The Great Gorilla Run.


This 6km run through London is like many of the races I’ve run back home: hundreds of people all crammed into narrow streets, stretching and warm-ups at the finish line, fruit served after the race for the runners. Except at this race, the only fruit served after the race were bananas, and everyone ran the race in a Gorilla suit.





It was a beautiful sight, 700 plus gorillas running through the streets of London. The race is organized in large cities across the world to help raise money to protect African gorillas in the wild.  When I first heard of the race, I was online as soon as I could to register. However, one of the stipulations of the race is that you must raise £400 for the gorillas, and I wasn’t about to spend all my time in London soliciting for gorillas. Next time one of these races comes my way, I’ll be sweating in a suit of too much hair.



Oh and the best part about this jungle affair, I got a free giant inflatable banana. I believe my exact words to my flat mates as I walked in the room were, “Don’t worry guys, I got the giant banana for our room.”



Since we were so close, Jenny and I decided the Tower of London would be a splendid way to spend the afternoon. At 14 quid (slang for pound, like the American 'buck'), it was worth the stop.



Probably London’s most famous tourist destination, this heavily fortified castle has been used for just about everything since it’s completed construction in 1100A.D. From being a storehouse for weapons and armor, to a prison for important political inmates, to a hall for holding royal events, to a zoo, to an observatory, this entire complex, with it’s White Tower as the epicenter, has it’s fair share of history. Today it is used to house the Crown Jewels, important political documents, and of course as a tourist destination.  




We went on a tour of the place with a Yeoman Warder, or as they are more commonly referred to as, a Beefeater. These highly respected guards live at the Tower of London and are responsible for it’s protection and upkeep. Our particular Beefeater just so happened to be the raven master, the caretaker for the ravens that call the Tower home. Legend has it that Charles II was told that if the ravens left the Tower, the kingdom and the fortress would fall.


At least six must be present at all time. The raven master ensured  us that they are not superstitious. To prove that are not, they keep eight at all times….




Some highlights for me were the armories where they decorated walls and pillars with pistols, the V.I.P. holding cells where prisoners awaited their beheadings and carved graffiti reveling their life views after months of isolation, and the body armor that protected all the right places. 



On our way home, we took the walk across Tower Bridge which was quite difficult with tourists stopping every two seconds to take a picture. However, I was one of them, so I can’t really complain. Some knowledge I gained today was that the bridge that is often referred to as London Bridge is actually Tower Bridge, which is the iconic symbol of this city. London Bridge is actually rather mundane-looking.

As if gorillas running and a Tower of history wasn’t enough the city decided to give us another surprise.

Jenny and I were on our way home after our tower experience right around 17:30 – 18:00. It was rush hour and the tubes were packed. We squeezed our way to the center of the car as people continued to push in as the doors were beginning to close. A woman right next to the door didn’t get her handbag out of the way quick enough and the doors slammed in on it. So there’s her bag, caught between the doors. She pulled with all her strength but it wouldn’t budge. We could all hear the train make it’s usual start up sounds. People in the car looked at each other with a slight panic. Then suddenly, from the platform two hands, with Wolverine claws on them, reach through the crack in the door, grip each side, and pull them open. Once the door opens far enough everyone got a good look at the man in a full Wolverine costume from the old cartoon show / comic book. With her bag free from the door’s vise grip, she pulls her bag free. Wolverine gives her a little salute and walks away.


I love this city. 

No comments:


Band website design
Quantcast