Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Harrod's Abbey Burana

10-25-2008
Much like yesterday, there wasn't a set plan for today. There was talk but no real plan. Eventually, Luke, Chad, Mike and I decided that a picture of us walking across Abbey Road was necessary and today would be the day. We got Kim to come along to be the photographer and ended up running into a slew of other folk who wanted to come along. So we all journeyed up the left side of Regent's Park toward Abbey road studios.


Our first mission was reading and signing the walled gate around the studio. It seems every visitor to this hallowed Beatles ground has to sign the wall with a "blah blah was here" or a nifty quote from the fab four. Pictured is yours truly next to my quote "Because the world is round...." Then we got in position, held up the traffic, and Jenny took one of the better pictures I've ever had the privilege to be involved in:


Sadly, I have learned that this isn't exactly where the Beatles crossed in their album cover as the city of Westminster has moved the crosswalk 20 meters forward to the actual intersection, opposed to the middle of street like it was in the 60's. I was told this by a camera man who worked for the San Diego Chargers who was simply sitting at Abbey Road, listening to the Beatles, and watching tourist almost get hit by cars. He is in town to shoot the game that the Saints and the Chargers will play tomorrow as Wembly Stadium. Nice guy. He loved photoshop.


Oh and here's another nifty quote from the wall of signage.

From Abbey road, we took the tube to Knightsbridge, walked down Brompton Rd. and visited Harrods (just thought I'd give directions in case any of you are looking to visit soon). Harrods, for those who are unaware, is a block long glamorous department store that carries everything a rich person could want.


My personal favorites were: the robotic dog that would shake, pant, and lean toward whichever side you were scratching him; fake snow that started as granulated powder that fluffed up when you add water; the £250 baby outfit; the leg bone of a dilopasaurus for decoration that was only £9,000 (stand included).




Speaking of dinosaur bones, I stopped by the Museum of Natural History after Harrod's to fulfill a childhood dream, see some real dinosaur bones. And I'm not talking some tiny dinosaur that was the size of a chicken. I mean real, mammoth-sized lizards, fully intact dino bones. I got my fill. And yes, the theme to Jurassic Park was running through my head the entire time I was there.




I finished my journey through the dinosaur graveyard as the museum was closing. Just down the street was my final destination for the night, Royal Albert Hall. There Jenny, Cody, Enmma and I met for a massive performance of Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. I had the honor of performing this incredible piece as a member of the choir at UWSP about two years ago. So actually sitting back and taking in the whole performance as an audience member was a truly moving experience....and I must say it was difficult not to sing along.

And let it be known that I did not record this video, rather a fellow concert goer did. No, you are not supposed to film during the performance, but the damage was already done. What was I supposed to do, let the footage go to waste?

2 comments:

Jo Fahy said...

hello! exciting blog... looks like there's a recent one missing about the amazing show you helped on last week!!!

Jo

Shawn Connelly said...

So it seems the footage I had of Carmina Burana was technically copyright infringement...oppps!


Band website design
Quantcast