Wednesday, October 1, 2008

First Day of Life

9-24-2008

Despite the fact that I knew exactly where I was going and had a relatively good idea of how long would take, I still decided to leave about 2 hours earlier than I had to in order to be at Life FM by 12:30. I arrived in Harlesden about 11am and took that extra hour and a half to get familiar with my new neighborhood. I ended up stopping in a gyro-like shop and indulged myself for a good 20 minutes with this mass of chicken, salad, and spicy sauce on freshly made nan flatbread. I finished it just in time to make it to Life FM 10 minutes early.

It was a normal first day: orientation, interview, tour of the place, the usual. At the same time though, it was better than most first days I’ve had. My supervisor sat down with me and we worked out a personal development plan. She asked me what I was looking to gain from the experiences here, what I hoped to develop. She involved me right from the start informing me of where the station would be going over the months I would be there. I met everyone who was in the office that day and all were extremely welcoming.

Following the ‘getting to know you’ part of the day, I was given some rather mundane tasks, but I suppose that is understandable. If a completely stranger walked into my office, I’d make sure he or she was not a complete dumbass before I gave them any real responsibilities. Eventually, I was asked to assist some presenters (DJs) with some audio production.

Here, I must stop and thank WWSP 90FM. The past four years at that radio station provided me with the necessary skills to dive right in at Life FM. On my first day, I recorded one advert and began a MOBO awards nominee campaign. I was loving it. I worked from 12:30 – 20:00 that night and arrived back at MTH around 21:00. Sleep felt great as my day was way over stimulating and I was pooped.

No comments:


Band website design
Quantcast