Saturday, October 18, 2008

A Sunday in Amsterdam and I Missed Church

10-12-2008

Once again I have to praise Sandeman's New Europe Tours. We took a three hour walking tour today with a lovely, intelligent guide who showed us a bit of the history of this fabulous city.

The original headquarters of the Dutch East India Company. Which I've come to discover is the world's first international conglomerate corporation. They began the evil...


World famous fries from the Vleminckx. They are world renown for the sauces that their fries get smothered in. Mike and I tried the war sauce: mayo, onions,  and peanut sauce. Amazing.

Hidden chapels where
Catholic's worshiped during their persecution. 


And of course, the narrowest house in Amsterdam (note the red brick).

We also took some time out in Dam Square to see some street performers. I wish I could say good street performers but they really weren't. Mostly living statues that weren't really all that still. However, there was one performer worth of note. 

She was from Canada, or at least she claimed to be. If I were from Canada, I would have walked up to her three minutes into her show and punched her in the face for giving my country a bad name. But thankfully, I'm not from Canada, so I just laughed.

Sporting a red track suit with the word "Canada" plastered all over it, a Canada visor, and a pair of glasses that belonged to the early 80's, she told jokes that were not funny, juggled tricks that were not hard, and every time she didn't get the audience response she desired, looked at the audience and gave out an annoying "Come on!" My friend Chad claims this all was part of her comic genius, but I beg to differ.

No comments:


Band website design
Quantcast