Saturday, October 25, 2008

Rumshake, Park Art, and Moshi Moshi

10-18-08


Our original goal today was to get bitch'n London tattoos. By 'our' I mean about five of us from Wisconsin who all had our own original ideas for tats and intending on getting inked while we were overseas. I would love to divulge what my design was to be even though I didn't get it, however that doesn't mean I won't get it trapped into my skin sooner or later.

None of us got tattoos that day, mostly because the best places were booked for the day, but also because after short consultations with multiple artists, none of us were really pleased with their feedback. I heard from three different artists at three different shops that my design would have to be much bigger that I would like it because of the detail involved. If any tattoo artists are reading this and can set me straight please comment. While I suppose they might just have my best interests in mind, I also had a suspicion that they were all trying to make an extra £100 off me. Meredith on the other hand (remember her from the art gallery?) scheduled an appointment and will be heading back next Sunday to get the outline of Wisconsin somewhere on her body.


Our trip to the Camden tattoo parlors was no waste of time. Camden is always a fun time, whether it be shopping or just looking. Our excitement today was stopping by a place called the Diner. It's a chain and a good one at that. I had a hard milk shake, strawberry cheesecake to be exact. The perfectly blended rum was barely noticeable and slowly hit me as we chilled in the diner. Katy's fries were the icing on the cake as I dipped them in my rumtastic beverage.


Kallie and I ended up making the walk back to the Regent's park area together and stopped to see the outdoor sculpture garden of the Frieze Art fair. This huge exhibition features galleries from around the world and takes over the largest green space of Regent's for five days. In any other circumstance, I'd be upset that a large green space was being monopolized by a huge structure. However, this art fair looked as if it was definitely worth it. We didn't go into the exhibition hall, that will have to wait for tomorrow, however we did see the free sculptures.

Tin cans skull


A semi-happy fellow
After checking out the sculptures, I went back to the room and had a quick nap. It lasted 10 minutes until my buddies came in to get ready for the night ahead of us. Mike, Chad, and I headed to the O2 for the Moshi Moshi records anniversary party. Took us a little while longer to get there than we anticipated as the Jubilee line, the tube line that leads to the O2's front door, was out of commission. So we took the tube as close as we could then hopped on a bus.
The bus ended up taking longer than it should have as well since the driver took us in the opposite direction of the 02 until someone said ''excuse me, where are you taking us?''
His reply, ''opps, thought I was driving the 29 instead of the 20, shouldn't have drank so much tonight.''
Reassuring I know.
Anywho, we made it there around 11:30 and only ended up missing one of the bands we really wanted to see. The gig was from 10pm-7am. We ended up staying till about 5am listening to some incredible DJs while grooving on a dance floor that vibrated due to the giant sub woofer underneath it. 


Oh and saw some incredible bands....
Tilly and the Wall: wasn't incredibly familiar with them before tonight, but I sure am now. Their bass drum is accented by the three singers pounding their feet while they dance on amplified wooden boxes.


and HOT CHIP. I've been in love with this band for a good two years now. When I got to London I immediately looked up tickets to see these blokes and found the cheapest ticket at £100. However at this Moshi Moshi party I saw both bands and DJ's for £20....Hot Chip rocked me hard, and I loved every minute. Even when I was sandwiched amongst sweaty bodies.

No comments:


Band website design
Quantcast